Today we are going over a nice passing play in Madden 16 out of the Houston Texans playbook. We have a few reeivers that should get open against both man to man and zone defenses.
The video breakdown, written analysis, and screenshots can all be found below.
Playbook: Houston Texans
Formation: Gun Bunch Wk
Play: Texans Trail
- Put your B/circle receiver on a slant route
- Put your running back on a wheel route
Reads Versus Man Coverage
- The first read against man are the drag and slant route combo as they will get open very quick.
- Then you will progress to the RB/R1 route which burns man coverage.
Reads Versus Zone Coverage
- First read versus zone, is the running back as the outside route sucks up the zones you hit the running back for a nice gain.
- Second read is the slant and drag combo, those will be open for a short gain.
- The last read if the first two fail, sit back and let the RB/R1 route develop and hit him over the middle.
Overview: This play can really be used anytime, a great play when you need to pick up a first down. It is also a good base play to come out in and start off your drives with and see what your opponent is doing on defense. Especially because the one setup can beat both man and zone coverage.
Let’s break this down step by step.
This is how the play should look pre-snap.
Notice that the cornerback covering our receiver is lined up too far outside. If it is man coverage, our receiver on the slant will definitely be open.
You can see the separation our receiver on the slant gets. There are 2 guys between him and the defender trying to cover him.
We make the catch for and still have some room to run. The plays ends in about a 15 yard gain.
Sign up for a Madden School Unlimited membership and get every tip we release as well as all of our eBooks for Madden 16.