Let’s dive right into this play.
Playbook: Philadelphia Eagles
Formation: Singleback Deuce Close
Play: PA Drag Wheel
- Put the A/X receiver on a drag route
- Block the running back to take away the play action
- The first read is the streak on the left of the screen for a quick pass
- The second read are the crossing routes across the middle
- The third read is the B/O receiver deep going towards the left of the screen
Overview: This play is a very effective zone beater. As you can see in the video the zone does not get out to the B/O receiver making it a very hard route to stop. Especially mixed with the other route combinations in the play.
Let’s take a closer look at this play.
This is how the play should look pre-snap. You can block the running back to cancel the play action.
Notice in this screenshot that we have both receivers open underneath.
As the defender on the right side of the field comes up to play our tight end on the drag route, we throw it over the top to our receiver deeper down the field.
We catch the ball for about a 20 yard gain.