In today’s Madden 23 tip, we are going over a money play that you can call when you suspect your opponent is coming out in a cover 3 defense.
A lot of people like to just sit in a cover 3 defense early on in the year so calling this play a couple times should get them out of it really quick.
We’ve got the full breakdown below!
Playbook: Green Bay Packers (And Others)
Formation: Strong Close
Play: PA Deep
- Make sure you are on the left hash mark
- Motion your X/square receiver to the left and put hot route him to a comeback route
- Hot route either your fullback or your tight end to a streak
- Your primary read on this play is the B/circle receiver deep against cover 3 defenses. Make sure to lead pass to the sideline (away from the deep safety)
- If he is covered, look to your running back on the shallow curl as a checkdown option or throw the ball away.
Overview: This is a shot play for cover 3 defenses meaning that you should only call it when you expect your opponent will be in a cover 3 defense and you want to take a shot downfield. There aren’t a lot of reads or progressions so you’ll want to be confident that your opponent is in a cover 3 before snapping the ball.
Pro Tip: It can help to have your fastest/best receiver in the B/circle position to make this play even more effective.
Let’s take a closer look!
This is how the play art should look before you snap the ball. Notice how you are on the left hash mark.
After we snap the ball, we can see that it is a cover 3 defense. The outside cornerback on the left side of the screen gets sucked down by the comeback route.
The safety in the middle part of the field is put into conflict having to defend 2 routes coming into his zone.
You can see that when we make the catch, no defenders are within 5 yards of our receiver so we can turn it upfield.
The play results in a touchdown!
Enjoying Madden School? Join Madden School Unlimited today and get our best Madden 23 ebooks, guides, and tools!