In today’s Madden School tip, we are going over a way to attack your opponent’s defense using all parts of the field.
Check out the full breakdown below!
Playbook: San Francisco 49ers
Formation: Gun Split Close
Play: HB Wheel
- Hot route the B/circle receiver to a drag.
- (Optional vs Cover 2) Hot route the B receiver to a hitch and motion to the left.
- (Optional with Slot Apprentice) Hot route the A/X receiver to a corner route.
- Against cloud flats (cover 2) or hard flats (cover 3) your main read is your Y/triangle running back after he cuts up the field.
- If the zones are playing back either hit your RB/R1 running back in the flat or your B/circle receiver on the drag.
- Against man coverage look for you X/square receiver as he breaks to the middle of the field.
- If you have Slot Apprentice on your A/X receiver, the corner route should be able to get open against man as well as fit in between the corner and safety in zone coverage.
Overview: This play has tons of options that will be able to get positive yards against all coverages, but you really want to use this play against Cover 3. Pass it to your checkdowns until your opponent plays underneath which you will then be able to get big yardage with your Y/triangle running back.