Question about Offensive Line Shifts

Status

Default Question about Offensive Line Shifts

Does anyone have a tutorial or article on what the offensive lifts are doing, especially selecting "pinch" or "aggressive" and when you should use those?

Thanks...

Status

If I wanted to be like all the other smart a$$ ppl on this site I would just tell you to go buy the officially licensed game guide like I did but I am not I take no credit for any of this it comes str8 from the game guide so credit goes to Prima. I am just telling you what the book says how these slide protection suppose to work notice I say suppose to work lol!

Slide Protection Aggressive

Strengths: When the defensive line is spread out, slide protection out puts the offensive linemen in a better position to counter them. It’s good to use when the defense is showing blitz from the outside, because the offensive lines protects out.

Weaknesses: With the offensive linemen sliding out, the quarterback is more susceptible to being sacked from the inside pass rush. If the defense overloads the middle of the offensive line, the offensive linemen won’t be in position to block the inside pressure.

Slide Protection Pinch

Strengths: If the defensive linemen are pinched in, slide protection in puts the offensive linemen in a better position to block them. If the defense overloads the middle of the offensive line with multiple defenders offensive linemen are in better position to block all the pass rushers because they slide protect towards the middle.

Weaknesses: The quarterback is at greater risk of being sacked from the outside pass rush because the offensive linemen are blocking towards the inside. If the defense overloads the outside on both sides to blitz, the offensive linemen won’t be able to block all the pass rushers.

Slide Protection Right

Strengths: If the defense overloads the right side of the offensive line, slide protection right puts the offensive line in a better position to counter the overloaded right side. When rolling the quarterback out to the left it helps keep the backside pass rush off of him because the offensive slide protects to the right side.

Weaknesses: The quarter back is not protected from the left side of the defensive line if the defense brings the blitz. If the defense puts multiple defenders on the left side of the offensive line, do not use slide protection right because the offensive linemen won’t be able to block all the pass rushers coming from the overloaded side.

Slide Protection Left

Strengths: If the defense overloads the left side of the offensive line, slide protection left puts the offensive line in a better position to counter the overloaded left side. When rolling the quarterback out to the right it helps keep the backside pass rush off of him because the offensive slide protects to the left side.

Weaknesses: The quarter back is not protected from the right side of the defensive line if the defense brings the blitz. If the defense puts multiple defenders on the right side of the offensive line, do not use slide protection left because the offensive linemen won’t be able to block all the pass rushers coming from the overloaded side.

Status

Thanks! Very cool.

I will lab with this and report my findings.

Status

what about in rushing situations?

Status

Quote Originally Posted by IASI Desperado View Post
    what about in rushing situations?
    Interesting you post this because I asked because I notice when I "pinch" this one particular running play I love to run to the outside, I get A LOT more yardage. Vice versa, you may want to consider going aggressive for inside runs and try to push the defenders to the outside.

Of course if your o-line sucks they'll be the one getting pushed around.

Status

It can be use for the run game but may not be effective. Using it with certain run plays can help create running lanes. You just going to have to get in the lab and see what works.

Status

appreciate the help qshaw18

Status

Lways slide peotecet