Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Scripted 15, A Tool to Expose the Defense

Status
    Madden Advisors
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Scripted 15, A Tool to Expose the Defense

Bill Walsh Scripted Plays
    Pac 12 Coachs Script the Best Strategies

I've had several requests to post my 3 sets of scripted plays (balanced, pass heavy, and run heavy) from Green Bay's book but unless I ever got around to posting my full scheme out of Green Bay's book I probably would never got around to posting the list so I thought I'd give scripting your opening drive or your first 15 plays a thread that explains how utilizing a script during the early game can pay dividends later in the game.

There have been several different methods for scripting plays in the NFL over the years, some teams script their opening drives of each half, some script a set number of plays (most common is 15 [Bill Walsh was known to up it to 25 on occassion]), and some teams may script the entire first quarter (this is mostly during the preseason). However one must ask why they are doing this?

The answer is quite simple if you think about it, if you go into a game knowing exactly what you are going to do before hand it allows offensive players and coordinators to focus on what the defense is doing in response to your personnel groupings, formations, and concepts. This allows offenses to key in on the defenses tendencies to how they defend in various situations which leads to game breaking adjustments.

In Madden, especially in the shorter quarters that affect most online games, this is a rare practice. Personally I've been scripting my opening drive and sometimes two of my drives for well over 3 years now and I feel it lets me really get a feel for the other player which leads to getting into the right play call in important situations. Many Madden players use different methods for doing this but when you are running a scheme as multiple as mine I feel its best to at least script your first possession of the game. Lately I've been playing full 60 minute games against the cpu and because of that my scripts have been fleshed out to a full 15 so I thought I'd share them.

Balanced
    1. Single Back Flex HB Slash
    2. I-Form Slot Flex PA Wheel
    3. Gun Double Flex Wing HB Power
    4. I-Form Slot Flex HB Blast
    5. Gun Y-Trips Wk HB Off Tackle
    6. I-Form Slot Flex Packer Comebacks
    7. Gun Y-Trips Wk Packers Stick
    8. Weak Slot Strong Stretch
    9. Gun Doubles On Y-Shallow Cross
    10. Single Back Flex HB Cut Back
    11. Gun Doubles Flex Wing HB Dive
    12. Single Back Flex Packer Ins
    13. Gun Doubles On FL Screen
    14. Gun Double Flex Wing Drive
    15. Gun Double Flex Wing PA Dig

Pass Heavy
    1. Gun Pack Trips Stick
    2. Gun Doubles Flex FL Screen
    3. Single Back Flex Packer Ins
    4. Gun Normal Y-Flex Tight Y-Sail
    5. Gun Pack Trips PA WR In
    6. Gun Doubles Flex Wing HB Dive
    7. Single Back Flex WR Screen
    8. Gun Pack Trips Packers Smash
    9. Single Back Flex Flanker Drive
    10. Gun Pack Trips Packer Drive
    11. Single Back Flex Z-Spot
    12. Gun Y-Trips Wk Packer Stick
    13. Gun Flex Trey Packer Drive
    14. Gun Pack Trips HB Sweep
    15. Gun Flex Trey WR Screens

Run Heavy
    1. Single Back Ace HB Stretch
    2. Single Back Ace Pair HB Smash
    3. I-Form Pro Z-Spot
    4. Single Back Ace Twins HB Stretch
    5. Gun Double Flex Wing PA Pack Seams
    6. Single Back Ace Pair H Zone Str
    7. I-Form Pro Flanker Drive
    8. Gun Double Flex Wing HB Dive
    9. Full House Wide PA Packer Posts
    10. I-Form Pro Stretch
    11. I-Form Tight Pair Stretch
    12. I-Form Slot Flex HB Blast
    13. Single Back Ace Twins PA FL Stretch
    14. Gun Double Flex Wing HB Power
    15. Single Back Ace Pair H Misdirection Wk

These aren't concrete by any means and they don't take into account any checks I may do at the line but I go into each and every game planning on running one of these scripts.

Where this type of planning can be especially useful is in online leagues where you are going to be playing certain opponents multiple times in a single season and hopefully over many years. In these situations its expected to adjust the script to fit your opponent based on what you have had success in the past with as well as what you think will make him show his hand early to allow you to win in this violent game of chess.
    Last edited by baller7345; 12-18-2012 at 12:56 AM.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to baller7345 For This Useful Post:

adam352 (12-18-2012),instantclassic79 (01-21-2013),sackattack14 (12-19-2012),theDude (12-18-2012)

Status
    Administrator
    Gamertag
    modrewgnu
    PSN ID
    modrewgnu

Oh man this is awesome. Would you have any objections to me reposting this on the homepage with giving you credit of course?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

UCLA Bruins Football 2014

Status
    Madden Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by Modrewgnu View Post
    Oh man this is awesome. Would you have any objections to me reposting this on the homepage with giving you credit of course?
    Go right ahead. I saw about halfway through that this thing was going to resemble some of my articles and I almost just sent a pm to you just to ask if you wanted to use it as such. If I didn't have well over 10 people that have sent me pm's asking if my scripts were posted on this site over the year I would have gone that route first.

It probably needs proof read to be worthy of the main page though, I sort of threw it together in a hurry while I watched the debacle that is the New York Jets.
    Last edited by baller7345; 12-17-2012 at 10:56 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to baller7345 For This Useful Post:

Modrewgnu (12-17-2012)

Status
    Madden Advisors

Well, I found one stupid mistake. I had listed the second play in my pass heavy script as FL Screen from Gun Double Flex Wing and while I'd love to have a WR screen of any type in that formation it simply doesn't exist. It was supposed to read Gun Doubles Flex.

Status

I script my first 5 plays, and I think having some sort of script is vital for having success on offense. I like the confidence it gives me to start out a game and I also feel it keeps me balanced at the start of the game and helps me maintain that balance.

Status
    PSN ID
    team_adam_352

Awesome, this is one thing I never got round to implementing, good stuff!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to adam352 For This Useful Post:

TodrekSosa (12-18-2012)

Status

great stuff bro

Status

Great stuff baller! Could you elaborate though on why you picked those as your scripted plays? Also what type of defensive tendencies are you looking at when running the scripted plays? What are your adjustments? Thanks!

Status
    Madden Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by theDude View Post
    Great stuff baller! Could you elaborate though on why you picked those as your scripted plays? Also what type of defensive tendencies are you looking at when running the scripted plays? What are your adjustments? Thanks!
    For each script I'm kind of looking for different things since most of the time I'm not going to call a game the same after the script is done with. For the Balanced script my main concern is how the defense defense defends 3WR sets. I use 6 different 3 wide sets, in fact there isn't a play where I don't have 3 WRs on the field during that set. I'm want to know which sets I can get the defense to show me a 1 high look on a consistent basis as that will open up many of my PA shots later in the game. I'm also running a bunch of my basic concepts in this set of 15. Switch, Stick, Verticals (the comebacks play), Levels, Snag, and the shallow series all show themselves. I want to pay close attention to exactly what the defense does when I run any of these core concepts. Do they prefer 1 high looks or 2 high looks, how do they react to a big play, how do they play a pass after a good run, etc. I'm simply using the script to probe my opponents mind, success isn't necessarily my main goal with those 15 plays. The balanced script is made as it is to saturate your opponent with 3 wide sets and to watch how slight differences in personnel groupings change their defense. This hopefully will show me something that I can take advantage of later in the game.

The pass heavy script is similar to the balanced script when it comes to what its trying to accomplish. You see more screens and more stick concepts being placed in this script as they are taking the place of a strong running game but you also see a lot of the shallow series here as well. 5 of the plays in this script use a concept similar to Drive or Y-Shallow Cross. The difference is I'm running these concepts out sets that range from empty to 11 personnel. Again its judging how the opponnent reacts to the changes in my personnel though unlike the balanced set its less about slight differences and alignment changes and more about throwing extra WRs on the field. This script probes the defense to see how the defense reacts to your constraint plays (the screens) and to see if you can't get them off their heels if they go blitz happy against all my WR heavy sets. I'm once again noting what kind of coverages are being played as well as how they try to disguise or adjust around those coverages.

The run heavy script is the most different from the rest of them since it is so run heavy when compared to the other two but it is fundamentally the same. I use this script when I want to establish my zone running scheme while looking for some deep PA shots early in the game. If I can hit one deep PA shot I feel this script is a resounding success since it changes the way the opponent has to play the game. Along with looking at all the normal things you look for against the defense I'm trying to see how they handle a running game that is thrown at them from many different formations. My running game is just as multiple as my passing game and its something that can cause people a lot of trouble and this script looks to test their discipline to seeing such a multiple running game. I run the ball from 8 different formations and show a 9th (Full House Wide) where you can easily see your opponent running the ball. The main goal outside of taking notes on the defense is to hopefully get the defense into more MOFC defense, and if they don't want to play MOFC defense to get that information early so I can continue to run the ball.

In the end however they all attempt to do the same thing, they simply want to gauge how the defense reacts to playing against a truly multiple offense. One of the biggest advantages I have over most players is the amount of formations I can comfortably operate out of and by having so much diversity in those formations to start the game I am able to see where I may have the most success as the game goes on. These scripts are my scouts, they get the information that makes the incoming invasion a success.
    Last edited by baller7345; 12-18-2012 at 05:28 PM.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by baller7345 View Post
    For each script I'm kind of looking for different things since most of the time I'm not going to call a game the same after the script is done with. For the Balanced script my main concern is how the defense defense defends 3WR sets. I use 6 different 3 wide sets, in fact there isn't a play where I don't have 3 WRs on the field during that set. I'm want to know which sets I can get the defense to show me a 1 high look on a consistent basis as that will open up many of my PA shots later in the game. I'm also running a bunch of my basic concepts in this set of 15. Switch, Stick, Verticals (the comebacks play), Levels, Snag, and the shallow series all show themselves. I want to pay close attention to exactly what the defense does when I run any of these core concepts. Do they prefer 1 high looks or 2 high looks, how do they react to a big play, how do they play a pass after a good run, etc. I'm simply using the script to probe my opponents mind, success isn't necessarily my main goal with those 15 plays. The balanced script is made as it is to saturate your opponent with 3 wide sets and to watch how slight differences in personnel groupings change their defense. This hopefully will show me something that I can take advantage of later in the game.

The pass heavy script is similar to the balanced script when it comes to what its trying to accomplish. You see more screens and more stick concepts being placed in this script as they are taking the place of a strong running game but you also see a lot of the shallow series here as well. 5 of the plays in this script use a concept similar to Drive or Y-Shallow Cross. The difference is I'm running these concepts out sets that range from empty to 11 personnel. Again its judging how the opponnent reacts to the changes in my personnel though unlike the balanced set its less about slight differences and alignment changes and more about throwing extra WRs on the field. This script probes the defense to see how the defense reacts to your constraint plays (the screens) and to see if you can't get them off their heels if they go blitz happy against all my WR heavy sets. I'm once again noting what kind of coverages are being played as well as how they try to disguise or adjust around those coverages.

The run heavy script is the most different from the rest of them since it is so run heavy when compared to the other two but it is fundamentally the same. I use this script when I want to establish my zone running scheme while looking for some deep PA shots early in the game. If I can hit one deep PA shot I feel this script is a resounding success since it changes the way the opponent has to play the game. Along with looking at all the normal things you look for against the defense I'm trying to see how they handle a running game that is thrown at them from many different formations. My running game is just as multiple as my passing game and its something that can cause people a lot of trouble and this script looks to test their discipline to seeing such a multiple running game. I run the ball from 8 different formations and show a 9th (Full House Wide) where you can easily see your opponent running the ball. The main goal outside of taking notes on the defense is to hopefully get the defense into more MOFC defense, and if they don't want to play MOFC defense to get that information early so I can continue to run the ball.

In the end however they all attempt to do the same thing, they simply want to gauge how the defense reacts to playing against a truly multiple offense. One of the biggest advantages I have over most players is the amount of formations I can comfortably operate out of and by having so much diversity in those formations to start the game I am able to see where I may have the most success as the game goes on. These scripts are my scouts, they get the information that makes the incoming invasion a success.
    Thanks for the response baller. So I run a spread option attack using the Car playbook where the closest I get to undercenter is the pistol. I think it would make most sense to base my 15 off your balanced list. But I'll sub more read options and designed qb runs where you have runs to the HB and I'll keep your passing concepts using formations in the Car playbook though. Btw I don't know how you remember all that stuff about the defense. I have a hard enough time remembering whether or not my opponent likes zone or man lol