Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

The Run and Shoot Offense and Utilizing the Switch Concept Agaisnt Man Coverage

Status
    Madden Advisors
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The Run and Shoot Offense and Utilizing the Switch Concept Agaisnt Man Coverage

Seeing as my workplace is experiencing some serious ventilation issues (wasted an hour of my time driving down there and back) which makes lab work a bit dangerous and thus gives me the night off I figured I'd delve into a little bit of the old school and how it works with the new school. This post is going to offer all the information you could need on the Run n Shoot Offense which was popular in the early 90's in the NFL (Warren Moon and the Oilers drove guys crazy with it), as well showing you how the Switch concept which was the Shoot's answer to tight man coverage since that seems to be a coverage that many players have issues with (it also helps that the Switch concept is found in a variety of forms in just about every playbook). Without further adieu.

A Simple Approach to the Run and Shoot
    Part 1: Philosophies and History
    Part 2: The Seam Read and the Go Concept
    Part 3: The Choice Concept
    Part 4: The Streak

Understanding the Trickeration's Run and Shoot Breakdown
    Understanding the Go Package
    Understanding the Choice Package
    Understanding the Hook Package
    Understanding the Streak Package
    Understanding the Switch Package

Other Run and Shoot Information
    Victor Cruz, the New York Giants, and Shades of the Run-and-Shoot Offense
    Getting Vertical with Dan Gonzalez
    Switch It, Put a Little Hawaii In Your Offense
    Run and Shoot "Go" Concept
    What Killed the Run and Shoot
    Utopia's Run and Shoot Thread (Includes a Lot of Playbooks)
    Draw It Up: The Latest Wrinkles in WVU's Explosive Offense
    Run and Shoot Offense - Wikipedia
    Last edited by baller7345; 10-05-2012 at 11:53 AM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Status
    Madden Advisors

First and foremost let me say it would be nearly impossible to run a true Run and Shoot in Madden. Even the Run and Gun playbook which is supposed to be based off the offense is very wrong due to a lack of option routes. However that doesn't mean we can't use some of its philosophies and concepts to better our offensive schemes in Madden.

This is going to go over two plays (they are basically identical except for personnel) and I can vouch for them working since they are two of my favorite "shot" plays I use in my Pro Raid (Pro Style and Air Raid combined). The both come out of Green Bay's playbook but that shouldn't make you shun these breakdowns if you don't use Green Bay's book because the concept that I'm breaking down is found in pretty much every playbook in some form or another.

Formations
    Gun Y-Trips Wk (TE Wide Out or Strong Slot Package)
    Gun Pack Trips (Strong Right Package)

Play
    PA WR In

Gun Y-Trips Wk PA WR In.jpg

PA WR In Gun Pack Trips.jpg

Breakdown
    There is a reason these two plays are one of my favorite ways to take a shot deep and that is because of the concepts contained in these plays. First they both have the Run and Shoot Switch concept that we are breaking down in this post but they also have one of my favorite concepts in Y Shallow Cross as well. This gives me a concept that I'm incredibly comfortable with (shallow cross) if things begin to break down since this is going to need good protection especially on the wheel route.

Ok we are going to read the switch concept inside out against all coverages but especially 2 Man Under. We will start with the Post as it will be the first to develop and then move to the Wheel then if need be peek at the shallow cross and dig before running for your life. Against tight man coverage the switch between the H and the Z WRs should give the WR running the post a good deal of separation coming out of his inside break. This will let you hit him in the middle of the field for a consistent 15 yards with the possibility of getting much more. If the switch fails or the safety comes down to help with the post route, then you are going to have to wait for the wheel route to become a foot race and chuck it up. This is a higher percentage play than you think especially if you have a decent deep threat running the wheel. It does require you to read the safety properly and it takes great protection but if you trust your protection you can start attempting to pump fake to the post to draw the safety in and go deep.

Against MOFC defenses (i.e. Cover 1) you'll either have to do some good lead passing to turn that post into a dig route (which it should be an option to be a dig in the first place) or wait for the wheel to develop and chuck it deep taking advantage of the matchup. This is also an area (due to off coverage) where you could use the Shallow Cross concept in the play instead of the Switch concept.

Using this concept is a great way to get your opponent out of 2 man under in a hurry since if you get the protection you will be picking up the yards in massive bunches. If you end up running this against zone its going to depend on which zone and how the safeties react. You can still get the wheel route open if you move the deep coverage over with a pump fake but it isn't guaranteed and while the drag route should suck any LBs over enough to open a passing lane for the Post it also isn't guaranteed so you can always read man or zone based off the defender covering the Y and if its is man read the switch concept and if it is zone go with the shallow cross concept.
    Last edited by baller7345; 09-11-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Status
    Madden Advisors

The Switch
    Before Switch
    Before Switch.jpg

Post Switch
    After Switch.jpg

The Rub
    The Rub.jpg
    Last edited by baller7345; 09-11-2012 at 01:18 AM.

Status
    Madden Advisors

The Post
    Switch Opens Up the Post
    Switch Opens Up the Post.jpg

Throw to the Post
    Throw to the Post.jpg

The Wheel
    The Safety Bites Inside Opening UP the Wheel
    Safety Bites Inside to Open up the Wheel.jpg

Throwing to the Wheel
    Throwing to the Wheel (Safety bit).jpg
    Last edited by baller7345; 09-11-2012 at 01:12 AM.

Status
    Gamertag
    N9ne 16 N9ner
    Sports Logo

I wanna see some old fashioned smash mouth concepts and philosophies :)

Status
    Madden Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by Football_Fan_#1 View Post
    I wanna see some old fashioned smash mouth concepts and philosophies :)
    The run and shoot traces its roots back to the 50's so its pretty old school. The old school passing game was all vertical, its the shallow stuff that is the new "finesse" stuff that so many people turn their noses too. I guess I could put up more on running concepts but Madden botches the blocking schemes so badly (I'm afraid to try the Packer Power Sweep) that I can't apply it to the game as well.

Status
    Madden Advisors

Update:

Added all the images for the Switch concept. I may add some more run and shoot concepts later if I can find a way to actually do them (serious lack of option routes) so if I update it next time some of the posts may not be under my name since I'm probably just going to edit them into other peoples posts.

Status
    Gamertag
    N9ne 16 N9ner
    Sports Logo

A play that has the potential to beat both man and zone...nice!!!

Status
    Madden Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by Football_Fan_#1 View Post
    A play that has the potential to beat both man and zone...nice!!!
    Most plays in the game have the potential to bet man and zone, but since nobody actually bothers learning the football and concepts behind them they constantly say that Madden makes crappy plays. If you understand what each concept is designed to do then you'd be amazed at how much the "good" Madden players miss out on.

This shows the most when you see how hot route happy the community is. Hot routes were designed (in game) and are used in real life to be an option for blitzes. However since so many people are trying to play a football game without the knowledge so they end up trying to use hot routes to design their own plays. This works for a lot of people but it also takes away so many other options that are available to the player.
    Last edited by baller7345; 09-11-2012 at 01:43 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to baller7345 For This Useful Post:

capt.krappy (11-27-2013)

Status

Thanks for this post Baller. This is a play I use as well. It's been on my wish list for Madden to stick a true Run N Shoot playbook in the game for years now. I use the run n shoot playbook (or SMU or Hawaii before Jones left) and I love the option routes. I just wish they wood implement these into Madden ....you know stick the Bills vs Oilers game as a madden moment in the game and actually allow the Oilers run n shoot playbook to be used. I guess it's a pipe dream though. lol Thanks again for this breakdown. I for one hope you continue with the run n shoot posts.