Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by RxSweetmilk View Post
    Baller... You touched on it in an earlier post re: 3 step and 5 step concepts... but are there any rules of thumb for going through post snap progression? Do you read high to low, or left to right, or (if defense blitzes to if defense drops back). Maybe it is based more on concept type... ie Vertical Stretches and Floods are High to Low, Hoizontal Stretches are Right/Left Left/Right starting on Strong Side, etc. I'm a SIM player, so I think more disciplined progression is the thing I need to get to the next level.

This seems particularly important because I've been having a difficult time with bump Cover 2 man... It is all I see from people. Running game doesn't seem as effective as it should be against it. Additionally, I run switches, rubs, curls, but after my WRs beat the press, I get no separation. Since I don't have disciplined progressions, I end up finding no one open, everyone blanketed, and have to throw it away, take a sack, or sometimes make a throw (when the corner puts on afterburners and under cuts the cross for a pick).

No need to give the progression for each concept... That would be too much work, and you've done enough, but any ideas might be helpful. Thanks for posting.
    Yes, yes, yes and yes. Its kind of hard to give you a concrete answer on how to hanlde your progressiosn since you'll find conflicting information based on who teaches you. Some coaches tell you to read any high low read from high to low while other tells you to read it from low to high and its the same for horizontal stretches.

I personally believe you should read every vertical stretch high to low as long as you can diagnose the defense by peeking at the high before coming to the low. If you can't make the decision that fast however its best to read it low to high since you'll miss your window otherwise. As for horizontal stretches I would recommend reading them inside out. Take 4 verticals for example, you would read inside seam, inside seam, outside go, outside go, checkdown. Or you would only read half of the field and read it, inside seam, outside go, checkdown.

The most important thing is to do what is comfortable to you, find a method of going through your progressions that you feel comfortable with and build on it.

As for Switch not getting separation, you are right in one respect. The dig routes are mostly in place for zone coverages so they almost never come open versus man coverage but the post routes ran off of the Switch concept simply need pass leading to lead to big plays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gamertag
    StingrayVFL

Baller, what would you say we're your top five concepts as it relates to Madden 13. With that, what are some of the progression reads you would go through. I personally like curl/flat and stick as my 2 favorites. Some of the others I still struggle reading the defender that can intercept a pass while playing in a zone when he's 10 yards in front of a reciever. 90% of the interceptions I throw, I see the guy an he makes a super leap and picks it. I watch the replay and low and behold, his *** is 10 yards in front of my intended reciever.

I've had enough of the online play just because it really doesn't resemble football with all the gimmicks. I won't go into that because it gets covered year after year. I do feel however that outside Of the offensive line play that they have done a good job with passing concepts. But, how do you contend with the super leap when you throw some of these concepts. In real life you can touch pass it over the defender, but in Madden it just seems like a bullet or lob, can't really get the in between pass to work well. Also, IMO, I think they patched in some super leap stuff like in years past to help the defense out based on piss poor programming. I didnt see that as much early on in this Madden season.

Also, besides the curl/flats and C routes, what other concepts combat the 46 cover 3?

Also, what camera view do you use? I like wide for passing and defense but standard for running.
    I'm gonna cloud up and rain all over you!

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Baller, what would you say we're your top five concepts as it relates to Madden 13. With that, what are some of the progression reads you would go through. I personally like curl/flat and stick as my 2 favorites.
    My top five concepts rarely change from game to game though that can change if EA screws something up. This year however they didn't screw any of them up that badly so my top 5 would be Stick, Drive/Y-Shallow Cross, Snag, Y-Sail, and Smash. My favorites tend to be concepts that can attack multiple defenses and while Smash doesn't really fall into that it remains one of my favorites because is packaged in so many plays along with other concepts.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray
    I've had enough of the online play just because it really doesn't resemble football with all the gimmicks. I won't go into that because it gets covered year after year. I do feel however that outside Of the offensive line play that they have done a good job with passing concepts. But, how do you contend with the super leap when you throw some of these concepts. In real life you can touch pass it over the defender, but in Madden it just seems like a bullet or lob, can't really get the in between pass to work well. Also, IMO, I think they patched in some super leap stuff like in years past to help the defense out based on piss poor programming. I didnt see that as much early on in this Madden season.

Also, besides the curl/flats and C routes, what other concepts combat the 46 cover 3?

Also, what camera view do you use? I like wide for passing and defense but standard for running.
    The super lb is even less of a problem with this year than years past and that is because you can actually throw a higher trajectory ball by lead passing up. Its never been a problem with the jump height of the LB (most NFL LBs have vertical leaps of over 33 inches) but instead its been a combination of reaction time and pass trajectory. The biggest way to avoid it is to learn where all your passing lanes will be and then you don't have to worry about defenders unless you get screwed over with someone defying the laws of momentum.

Y-Sail, Dagger, Flanker Dig, Stick, Y-Cross, Strong side/Weak side flood concepts off of PA (PA Rollouts), Fork, 4 Verticals, etc. should all work well enough against any Cover 3. Some are slower developing (Y-Cross for instance) but others like Flanker Dig and Dagger are great ways of utilizing your flankers on something other than curls and comebacks. The dig route is much deadlier than most people give it credit for.

I use the wide camera angle for everything, even though I'd love to be able to use Zoom for everything until they actually come up with a camera that restricts vision realistically while giving the ability to see the sideline its best to just enjoy your God view and Wide gives the best view of the field. It takes a little adjustment in the running game if you don't use it much but you see so much of the field it really helps passing.
    Last edited by baller7345; 02-17-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Gamertag
    kingjimi84

great tips!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567