How do you attack man vs zone defense

Status

Default How do you attack man vs zone defense

Once you've figured out if the defense is playing man or zone, which attacking options work best against each type?

Status

drag routes outs and slants are your main man d killers i think.. for the reg cover 2 and 3 zones the seem routes work well comebacks and also the drag too if you have enough time .. another thing i personally like to do to zones is overload onside of that zone so the cpu or the person playing d has to make a decision where to guard because they cant be in 2 places at once

Status

Against man defense -- bezzy is right, you'd want to use slants primarily and throw the ball once the WR beats his coverage. Cover 2 - Drag/curl routes and deep posts work well. Cover 3 - out routes.

Status

I seem to have success with slot or TE on seams up the middle against the cover-2

Status

solid info

Status
    Madden Advisors
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Beating Zone 101

Cover 2: The main beaters are any of the smash concepts as the deep corner route will be open but also you can throw a lot of the slant curls underneath the zones as well as the short hitch routes from the stick plays. Beating cover 2 deep means taking one of the safeties away from the outside receiver by flooding the middle of the field with routes and can be done out of several plays smash just happens to be the most common one. The plays with the 2 deep corner routes (look like a C) can also be effective if you get good blocking.

Cover 3: Strong Flood is your bread and butter here. This concept is designed to get the deep out open against cover 3 by pulling the flat zone down with a reciever in the flats and having the WR out wide take the deep zone with him on a go route. This leaves the deep out completely open. There are several other plays that use similar route combinations as the strong flood plays and they can be helpful too. As Cover 3 general has less help in the middle of the field Stick can actually get you some decent run after the catches and the slant curls can also do this. Forcing a slant over the middle is easier against cover 3 than against cover 2 but unless your are confident with it I wouldn't bother. Curl Flats is another good cover 3 killer and again this concept is run out of several different formations allowing you to keep the defense on their toes.

Cover 4: Dump it off, dump it off, dump it off. this is where you dink and dunk your way down the field screens are more likely to succeed here as there is no one in the flats. WR screens, HB screens, FB, screens, and TE screens should be able to pick up some decent yardage if you follow the blocking. The short middle is another weak spot as there will be at most 2 hook zones and in some cases 1 hook zone meaning the stick plays, short slant curls and even slants can be used though the slants can be picked if you play someone who is skilled. The main problem with most of this is that normally cover 4 is ran when its 3rd and long so the short routes are less likely to get you a first down but that is where the weaknesses are.

Cover 6: This has half the field split into quarters while the other is just one safety deep. The flats are open against this defense and smash can be successful if you run it to the side that isn't split into quarters. The short underneath routes are going to pick up about what you get on cover 2. Attack the lone safety by forcing him to make a decision and throw to where he isn't.

9 Velcro: Cover four but drops the 2 buzz zones into hook zones and drops 2 pass rushers into the flats (i think one of the CB's goes into the flats but you get the picture). Strong Flood is again your friend as it is essentially a super cover 3 since it gets rid of the buzz zones. Take your time as you only have 2 men rushing you so you will have time to find a target if your first read isn't there. Don't be afraid to take off and scramble as this is perhaps the defense with the most to lose from a scramble.

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOUR CHECK DOWNS ARE (Copy and pasted for the 6th time)

As other have said drags, crosses, and slants are all good ways to beat man. Press coverage can be beatn by go routes for big gains as well. In and Out routes are also effective if you have a good routerunner though they'll occasionally get jumped.

I would gladly make this into a thread if I knew it would stay up on the front page for all the people who need help against zone defense.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by baller7345 View Post
    Beating Zone 101

Cover 2: The main beaters are any of the smash concepts as the deep corner route will be open but also you can throw a lot of the slant curls underneath the zones as well as the short hitch routes from the stick plays. Beating cover 2 deep means taking one of the safeties away from the outside receiver by flooding the middle of the field with routes and can be done out of several plays smash just happens to be the most common one. The plays with the 2 deep corner routes (look like a C) can also be effective if you get good blocking.

Cover 3: Strong Flood is your bread and butter here. This concept is designed to get the deep out open against cover 3 by pulling the flat zone down with a reciever in the flats and having the WR out wide take the deep zone with him on a go route. This leaves the deep out completely open. There are several other plays that use similar route combinations as the strong flood plays and they can be helpful too. As Cover 3 general has less help in the middle of the field Stick can actually get you some decent run after the catches and the slant curls can also do this. Forcing a slant over the middle is easier against cover 3 than against cover 2 but unless your are confident with it I wouldn't bother. Curl Flats is another good cover 3 killer and again this concept is run out of several different formations allowing you to keep the defense on their toes.

Cover 4: Dump it off, dump it off, dump it off. this is where you dink and dunk your way down the field screens are more likely to succeed here as there is no one in the flats. WR screens, HB screens, FB, screens, and TE screens should be able to pick up some decent yardage if you follow the blocking. The short middle is another weak spot as there will be at most 2 hook zones and in some cases 1 hook zone meaning the stick plays, short slant curls and even slants can be used though the slants can be picked if you play someone who is skilled. The main problem with most of this is that normally cover 4 is ran when its 3rd and long so the short routes are less likely to get you a first down but that is where the weaknesses are.

Cover 6: This has half the field split into quarters while the other is just one safety deep. The flats are open against this defense and smash can be successful if you run it to the side that isn't split into quarters. The short underneath routes are going to pick up about what you get on cover 2. Attack the lone safety by forcing him to make a decision and throw to where he isn't.

9 Velcro: Cover four but drops the 2 buzz zones into hook zones and drops 2 pass rushers into the flats (i think one of the CB's goes into the flats but you get the picture). Strong Flood is again your friend as it is essentially a super cover 3 since it gets rid of the buzz zones. Take your time as you only have 2 men rushing you so you will have time to find a target if your first read isn't there. Don't be afraid to take off and scramble as this is perhaps the defense with the most to lose from a scramble.

ALWAYS KNOW WHERE YOUR CHECK DOWNS ARE (Copy and pasted for the 6th time)

As other have said drags, crosses, and slants are all good ways to beat man. Press coverage can be beatn by go routes for big gains as well. In and Out routes are also effective if you have a good routerunner though they'll occasionally get jumped.

I would gladly make this into a thread if I knew it would stay up on the front page for all the people who need help against zone defense.
    nice post thanks. cover 3 gives me the biggest problem, this post helps greatly

Status

I've been having trouble running seams against zone this year. It seems like that's one of the improvements they've made with the zone coverage this year.