Beginning to think Ask Madden is the best defensive scheme

Status
    Yes We Cam

Default Beginning to think Ask Madden is the best defensive scheme

I tried a whole game where i just used Ask Madden....

And it was like my defense was unstoppable. It seems like the computer bases its defense exactly for what your opponent is doing. idk how true that is for ask madden, but for the most part it worked great. Has anyone else had this success in using it? Im sure a good player can work around your defense and destroy you if you keep doing this, but i just thought i'd give it a try.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SuperSkunks Franchise Season 2: 3-1

Status
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wondered about this....it was brought up a few weeks ago on these boards. 2 recent games I've played it seemed like people were using the suggested plays or Ask Madden, because they was never any time where they would take to pick a play. And they were both lower skill pts and both played the shit outta me. Like either they were using that or just knew exactly what they wanted to pick defensively.

Status

It's the same way that the CPU knows what play you're going to run , so yea i think it could be advantage especially a person who has some decent user skills...If you have ever gone to custom playbooks you will see that some defensive plays are better against certain offensive sets...having the "ask Madden" do it for you takes the guess work out of doing it yourself...i just don't do it cause it's like the CPU is playing itself

Status
    Madden Advisors

I can't say if the ask madden feature works like gameflow but I can safely say that gameflow doesn't call its plays based on your plays but instead it calls them based on personnel, down and distance, and the game situation (less likely to call a base defense against a run heavy set with under 2 minutes left).

The ask madden (conservative, aggressive, normal play call choices) feature may work completely different though and I haven't tested that one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Status

Quote Originally Posted by baller7345 View Post
    I can't say if the ask madden feature works like gameflow but I can safely say that gameflow doesn't call its plays based on your plays but instead it calls them based on personnel, down and distance, and the game situation (less likely to call a base defense against a run heavy set with under 2 minutes left).

The ask madden (conservative, aggressive, normal play call choices) feature may work completely different though and I haven't tested that one.
    Hey Baller, have you ever looked at a custom PB and see that they have certain defenses rated highly against i.e trips , goaline, or spread formations? If you call a 4 wide reciever set, i won't know that i'ts a trips formation until i line up on defense, then i would have to adjust accordingly....Well with "ask Madden ", since plays in a PB are rated vs certain situations an formations it could give a "Good User" an advantage cause "ask Madden" knows what play you are running already on offense ( minus whatever hot routing you may be doing)...It's like if someone was going to run a fake punt "ask Madden" will automatically select a play against a fake punt formation.
    Last edited by Welcome 2da E R; 12-23-2011 at 04:59 PM.

Status
    Madden Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by Welcome 2da E R View Post
    Hey Baller, have you ever looked at a custom PB and see that they have certain defenses rated highly against i.e trips , goaline, or spread formations? If you call a 4 wide reciever set, i won't know that i'ts a trips formation until i line up on defense, then i would have to adjust accordingly....Well with "ask Madden ", since plays in a PB are rated vs certain situations an formations it could give a "Good User" an advantage cause "ask Madden" knows what play you are running already on offense ( minus whatever hot routing you may be doing)...It's like if someone was going to run a fake punt "ask Madden" will automatically select a play against a fake punt formation.
    I knew it changed based on the kicking situations but when I tested the gameflow play calling which also uses those game plans that give plays different star values based on the situations and formations it wasn't obviously cheating the user with its play calling. I ran an entire series out of Pack Trips and the defense lined up in either the 2-3-6 or 2-3-6 Odd on every snap. Based on the way a lot of people perceive the play calling I should have seen 7 man blitzes when I called draws or runs. I ran on 8 of the 14 plays and averaged 5.3 yards a carry. This included a 15 yard draw for a TD. The defense was running a lot of cover 3 and the only blitzes they were sending were those meant to be used for pressure not to stop the run. I did the same thing with Full House Wide and even when I sent 5 guys out in routes (9 of 15 plays) they lined up everytime in a 3-4 with over half of those being some sort of blitz (I counted 2 pinch cover 0's and 2 Middle Blitzes, and 1 that looked like Zorro Jack 3). The plays they didn't blitz were either cover 3 or cover 2 with one 2 man under thrown in. Finally I tested (in a completely different set of plays spanning multiple drives) a few 3rd and longs and 4th and long situations from the formation. In the 3rd and long situations it didn't matter if I called a run play because out of the 6 3rd and longs using a HB Slam out of the Full House, 4 times the defense abandoned its 3-4 and gave me a nickel look because of the situation. Now in the 4th down situations they did seem to call the play based solely on the play picked as even in a 4th and 25 they called a all out blitz against the run. This was all using two controllers and picking the offensive plays with one while using gameflow with the other. I picked gameflow first half the time picked it after the offense had picked its play already the other half and nothing changed in terms of play calling.

Now this was all with gameflow but if you are right in assuming that the play calling for ask madden is still using the star ratings as laid out by the gameplan then it should be pretty much the same.

EDIT:
    This was done with the default GB gameplan for both teams.
    Last edited by baller7345; 12-23-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Status
    Ball So Hard U. Moderator

Ask Madden / Gameflow = cheapest way to play this game.

I'd rather face someone who nanos and shakes than have to face someone who has the CPU pick his plays FOR HIM based upon whether I'm passing or running.

Status
    Madden Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by SnA ExclusiVe View Post
    Ask Madden / Gameflow = cheapest way to play this game.

I'd rather face someone who nanos and shakes than have to face someone who has the CPU pick his plays FOR HIM based upon whether I'm passing or running.
    It isn't based solely on whether or not you passing or running though.

GB on offense PHI on defense
    1st play: Pack Trips HB Draw/Defense in: Dime Cover 3/3 yard gain due to slow back
    2nd play: Curls out of Full House/Defense in: 4-3 Cover 2/incomplete pass dropped ball
    3rd play: Texas out of I-Form Pro/Defense in: some sort of cover 2 zone blitz out of Nickel/21 yard completion
    4th play: PA WR in out of Pack Trips/Defense in: 4-1-6 cover 2/13 yard completion
    5th play: Strong Close Packers Zone Wk/Defense in: 4-3 2 man under/ 0 yard gain
    6th play: Strong Close WR In/ Defense in: 4-3 Cover 2/ 16 yard completion
    7th play: Double Flex Wing Packers Comebacks with FB wing package/Defense in: Sugar 3 Seam out of what looks to be Nickel/ 15 yard completion
    8th play: HB Sweep out of Gun Bunch with 3 TEs subbed in the formation/ Defense in Nickel Cover 3/ 4 yard loss (Finely sucks at blocking Babin in free)
    9th play HB Lead Draw out of I-Form Slot Flex (3WR set and 2nd and 14)/Defense in: 3-3-5 Cover 4/ 14 yard TD run

Plays 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 all had gameflow called before the play was selected. Plays 2, 4, 6, 8 had gameflow called after the offensive play was selected.

That doesn't look like the type of play-calling that shows that they know what your play is before hand especially the TD run. They matched up with the personnel in most cases but really if they no you are running who runs a cover 4.

Now this may not apply to ask madden but Gameflow is done fairly well this year.