Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

JackParkman15's 46 defensive personnel and play calls...

Status
    Aaron Rodgers Title Belt

Default JackParkman15's 46 defensive personnel and play calls...

Since I am retired for the season I thought I would share my defensive thoughts on my personnel set up and the formation I run out of.

I use the Atlanta Falcons defensive playbook.
    It has 4-3, 46, and Nickel 3-3-5.
    I mostly run out of the 46.

Here is how I set up my defensive personnel.

LE I want this to be my best pass rusher
    DT run stuffer
    DT run stuffer
    RE Probably look for a combo run stuffer and pass rusher
    MLB I want this to be my best OVR LB. He will be on the field for me at all times. Looking for hit power, speed and zone, and AWR.
    LOLB I tend to send this guy after the QB a bit, so I look for some Speed and pass rushing stats. Also looking for zone
    ROLB look for hit power and zone coverage
    When it comes to my secondary I am quite a bit different than most people. I typically try and take my 2 best secondary players and play them at FS and SS because the middle of the field is abused on this game and also people tend to throw to their slot WRs and TEs more than the outside.
    FS I am wanting my best AWR and Zone guy here.
    SS I am looking for man coverage, AWR and typically I make this my best cover guy.
    CB 1 I am looking for press coverage and speed
    CB2 press coverage and speed.
    Honestly when it comes to the outside CBs I feel like SPD and press are the two most important things because they are either coverage an curl route, out route or a deep route. Most of the time you cant stop the curl or the out, so I just want a guy who will not get toasted deep.
    CB3 and CB4 I typically use my original FS and SS in these spots, because when I got 46 speed package they are my underneath coverage and since they are safeties they arent terrible against the run.

An example of a team depth chart I have used. Dallas Cowboys.
    LE - D. Ware
    DT - Ratliff
    DT - Hatcher
    RE - Spencer
    MLB - Sean Lee
    LOLB - Bruce Carter
    ROLB - Ernie Simms
    CB1 - Mike Jenkins
    CB2 - O. Scandrick
    CB3 - Sterling Moore
    CB4 - Barry Church

FS - Brandon Carr
    SS - Mo Claibourne

Plays I run out of the 46 defense.
    Normal package
    Cover 3 zone with man align. I use this as a base coverage, sometimes I will hot route the light blues to purples to protect against the corner or curl route.
    Cover 2 zone with man align and backed off coverage. I like to back off the coverage because if you move the FS back to normal depth it looks like cover 4 and since I run a lot of cover 4, I like to use it as a change of pace to try and get a quick throw. Always user your MLB on this play to cover the middle deep of the field.
    Cover 4 Typically I will change to the speed package and hot route 2 purples on this play. There are 3 underneath yellows and I leave the MLB in his yellow and change the other two to purples. This is a good long down and distance coverage.
    Cover 2 man with base align. Here is your basic man coverage. Sometimes I will hot route the SS to a purple and then user the FS and it turns into a modified cover 1.
    I also will drop a DL on certain cover 2 man plays and rush 3 guys.
    Blitzes
    SS Blitz typically I just bring down the SS to the LOS outside of the LE and rebltiz him
    Inside blitz all I usually do is man align and press coveage. Key is to take away their first option and the blitz should hit home.
    Cover 3 with man align and then re-blitz the MLB and the LOLB. This is the zone version of the inside blitz. I like to user the FS and bring him closer to the LOS to try and take away the quick hitter in the vacting zone. Remember not to get to sucked in though, if your blitz doesnt hit him.
    Fire zone 3 I typically base align, then I show blitz, then I spread and crash out the DL and then I reblitz the LE. The LE should come free. Typically I like to hot route the SS to a purple zone on this play and then I user the FS and just kind of play ball hawk.

So these are the plays I like to use and I typically will mix them up and set them up as much as possible. I try to stay in the 46 and 46 speed as much as I can because the formation all looks the same and it becomes harder to know what I am doing.

Thought I would share.
    Last edited by JackParkman15; 02-06-2013 at 10:24 AM.
    "I'm the only winner on this team. The rest of 'em, they're losers. Either by choice, or by birth."

XBOX Gamertag - JackParkman15

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JackParkman15 For This Useful Post:

adam352 (02-06-2013),CROM (02-14-2013),sackattack14 (02-07-2013)

Status
    Gamertag
    MaddenMAYHEMcom
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Certainly A+ for effort, but I feel that setting up each person as you stated is too time consuming and requires too much effort for most of us.

I appreciate you sharing, but I do have a question- Why do you like to stay in the 46 so much? I find I have much more success when I stick to passing coverages, even against those who run the ball a lot, because of the speed. Against a 3 WR or 2 TE/ 2 WR sets, you have serious mismatch issues.

Just playing devils advocate.

Status
    PSN ID
    Atlienjd

Quote Originally Posted by MaddenMayhem4 View Post
    Certainly A+ for effort, but I feel that setting up each person as you stated is too time consuming and requires too much effort for most of us.

I appreciate you sharing, but I do have a question- Why do you like to stay in the 46 so much? I find I have much more success when I stick to passing coverages, even against those who run the ball a lot, because of the speed. Against a 3 WR or 2 TE/ 2 WR sets, you have serious mismatch issues.

I do all of this as well, and the setups are super quick. I don't setup Fire zone 3 the same though.

Status
    Ball So Hard U. Moderator

I appreciate the time and effort, especially with your depth chart.

It seems this year nobody is running a different 46 scheme. It's all the same ****. Inside blitz, SS blitz, and Fox Fire 3 Zone and that's where it all stops.

I'm going to make it my mission to come up with something new out of th 46 before this season is over!

Status
    PSN ID
    Atlienjd

deleted
    Last edited by Atlien Jd; 02-06-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Status
    PSN ID
    ewing609

I also like to throw in weak blitz its the blitz audible i spread the dl and pinch the lbs cover the open man or weak area of the field with the fs.

Status
    PSN ID
    Atlienjd

If you want t
    Last edited by Atlien Jd; 02-06-2013 at 02:15 PM.

Status
    Aaron Rodgers Title Belt

Quote Originally Posted by MaddenMayhem4 View Post

I don't know what you mean by "setting up each person as you stated is too time consuming and requires too much effort for most of us"

You can go in and set up a depth chart and it saves it for you. I don't understand how you would play the game, if you didn't have the right players in the right spots and realistically the front 7 is going to be pretty much the same, I really only change up my secondary. I will take the time to do that, because I am not going to sit there and play an entire game with Morgan Burnett trying to cover Jimmy Graham or Vernon Davis or Desean Jackson. You have no chance. At least if I have a good cover guy in my safety positions I have a chance and that is why I take the time to do that.

I stay in the 46 because it has that speed package (which subs out 2 LB's and puts in 2 secondary players) where basically it turns into a dime defense. So I switch between the 46 normal and the 46 speed. I do also use the nickel 3-3-5 on occasion which is a good coverage defense.

I use other plays from the 46 as well, but I use them with less frequency so I didn't share them. I noticed someone mentioned the Weak blitz, which I have used before.

I don't know what it is about this formation, but to me it is the only one where I feel confident in my ability to stop the run and the pass and since I can use the speed package, It is easier to sub in and out with out detection from my opponent.
    "I'm the only winner on this team. The rest of 'em, they're losers. Either by choice, or by birth."

XBOX Gamertag - JackParkman15

Status
    PSN ID
    Atlienjd

Sorry guys I had to delete my posts. There's a guy from my CCM that I will most likely play in playoffs who is spying on me!!!!!

Giddy, wherever you are, you are GOING DOWN!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Status
    Ball So Hard U. Moderator

So here's something for you to try Jack...Took me 20 minutes to find this!

Any play from the 46 Normal. Pinch the line and edge rush them and re-blitz the LE (manually) and re-blitz the LOLB (D-Pad).

It's a 5 man blitz and DT#1 loops around the B gap and comes through untouched every time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SnA ExclusiVe For This Useful Post:

CROM (02-14-2013)