Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stop The Run

Default Stop The Run

I am having trouble stopping the run I run 46 defense playbook and still have trouble.

Any help well do please.

Default 46

i run the 46 normal - i use the inside blitz to stop any run inside the tackles and cover 3 to stop the outside runs the problem with blitzing on the outside runs is if it gets picked up by the offence lookout BIG PLAY
    Madden 25 rec 164 W - 37 L
    Madden 13 rec - 768W - 89 L
    Madden 12 rec - 1129 W - 87 L
    Madden 11 rec - 1172 W - 151 L
    Madden 10 rec - 1384 W - 168 L (top 100 evey year)

I stop it all the time out of a basic 4-3 stack. Don't let them seal the edge (spread line if you must) and user MLB to either cut behind FB to hit RB if FB over-runs the play, else follow the back outside and take away the cutback. Don't go for the hitstick, and only sprint if you've fallen behind too much; you're mostly looking to just run the back out of bounds on off-tackle and toss variants unless someone blows an assignment and you can come up on it.

If it's an inside run, just react quickly enough to plug the hole and strafe and the back won't have a crease, usually only gaining 1-3 yards.

I give up ~50 yards/game on the ground and have 730 skill rating, so it's not like i'm using this anti-run method against scrubs.

Unless you sell out on it anti-run really comes down to user ability. Just practice and don't take yourself out of the play, because it's when you over-run the back or get hung up on someone already being blocked that you're most likely to give up long TD runs.

Only skillful players can be a serious run threat up the middle. You see it from time to time, and while it does take more discipline you can still play it.

Ball So Hard U. Moderator SnA ExclusiVe's Avatar

To get the best run defense, spread your D-line and move the linebackers to the right and you get basically a balanced 8-man box.

In the 46, use "Rush Outside". Pinch the D-Line and spread the LBs. Will contain the outside and has the potential to get beat up the mid but the pinched d-line and if you user the MLB, its still pretty solid.

PSN ID
    Atlienjd
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I use cover 3 in 34 and 245 which will bring the SS down into the box. It is very effective and if it happens to be PA pass or passing from a big set you are still covered.
    Madden 25

Do you guys prefer to user the MLB or SS when D'ing up vs the run?

PSN ID
    Atlienjd

I user the weakside LB because when they run strongside no one blocks him and I can shoot the gaps.
    Madden 25

Quote Originally Posted by Atlien Jd View Post
    I user the weakside LB because when they run strongside no one blocks him and I can shoot the gaps.
    Havent thought of that...thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlien Jd View Post
    I score on people all the time when they try this. "shoot the gaps" is dangerous advice. It will work if you have a good blitz on and run into the only hole the back has, if you can run behind a pulling guard/glitch behind the FB (and then unrealistically trail the back on an off tackle run after running out of position...annoying and unrealistic as **** but it works), or are playing backside on an inside dive run and you don't get motion-snapped, but it puts you out of position too much, and for what, MAYBE stopping them 1 or 2 yards shorter than just playing the run solidly? If you plug the lane on inside runs they can literally go nowhere, but it's on outside runs that shooting a gap carries such risk.

I can't count the number of times a player user'd a backside safety or LB, ran them into the line, and because I use zone running, got themselves stuck or simply opened their own lane. Gap shooting a stretch is a horrible idea and only works occasionally...but the stretch and inside zone have the same initial blocking step and the same initial RB step so it's not easy to shoot inside zone either. People HAVE nailed me while gap shooting, but only with 8 in the box and at least one other man blitzing...it's not ideal to have to commit to the run to that extent.

IMO with runs as long as you're holding up their gains to <4 yards reasonably often (and avoiding giving up 20+ yard plays) they won't stay with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast