Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats the best way to stop the packers

Status

Default Whats the best way to stop the packers

i keep thinking its man bump n run with heavy pressure since there wr's are so slow besides jennings but somehow driver n nelson seem to get open alot, and giving rodgers time with zone seems to be inafective. i would just like some feedback on wut u guys find to work

Status
    Madden Advisors
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ThurstonRams360 View Post
    i keep thinking its man bump n run with heavy pressure since there wr's are so slow besides jennings but somehow driver n nelson seem to get open alot, and giving rodgers time with zone seems to be inafective. i would just like some feedback on wut u guys find to work
    Bump and run against GB is just asking to be killed. The receivers don't have elite speed (outside of Cobb and Jennings) but they aren't that slow either (other than Driver). They also have good route running ratings and catch in traffic ratings so they aren't dropping it. Along with that Driver, Jennings, Nelson will beat a press a lot of the time due to their release. Combine that with having Finely at TE and playing bump and run isn't going to work if your opponent knows what they are doing.

Applying heavy pressure is good and all but against someone who can pick up the heat it simply is going to leave you getting gashed due to the receiving core and because Rodgers may be the best QB at evading pressure and getting off an accurate throw in the game.

Now with that said I wouldn't want to leave Rodgers with time to throw either (at least not on a consistent basis) as you'll get eaten alive that way too.

Being someone who plays as the Packers I'd attack myself with a combination of man and zone coverage (along with combination coverages) so that I'd have to slowly move down the field while throwing in the occasional blitz (a good zone blitz would be ideal as press man blitzes will just get beat deep). This would also help confuse the pre-snap reads which will instill some doubt meaning you have a better chance at a mistake occurring. If you constantly blitz you will get picked apart but if you bring them at random intervals you'll be more likely to cause confusion and thus get to Rodgers meaning that you'll be much more likely to have a drive stall out. I also advise to stop the running game. Even though their backs aren't elite Grant and Starks can be the death of you if you let them pound off a 3.5+ ypc for the game as it opens up so many other plays to get Finely involved in.

You're goal shouldn't be to completely shut them down (if they are being played by a good player) but instead you want to force them to slowly march up the field and try to force some mistakes during that long drive. The Green Bay offense isn't going to be shut down if they know what they are doing but playing an opportunistic defense is your best bet.
    Last edited by baller7345; 10-18-2011 at 06:49 PM.

Status

yeah,seems something i'll do,but how to do attack the greenbay defense,they stop everything!!

Status
    Madden Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSwagerz View Post
    yeah,seems something i'll do,but how to do attack the greenbay defense,they stop everything!!
    HAHA...that is a little more difficult but it can be done. Running the ball is going to be a pain as Woodson and Mathews can lock up the outside (especially if you are in nickle 2-4-5 though that can be beat up the middle) while Pickett and Raji jam the middle. The outside is again tough as Woodson, Shields, and Williams will cause you headaches. I'd attack the safeties (since Collins is hurt) as they are the weakest point of the defense in. Now if they are playing Collins then you are more limited.

Make sure you keep track of Walden and Mathews as if you can catch them in coverage you can do some damage (especially Walden due to him being slow). Running draws would be the best bet at consistent running game if you opponent knows what they're doing as the LB core as a whole isn't overly fast. They are sure tacklers though so you won't be breaking many tackles. The MLB's Hawk and Bishop also have very sure hands for LB's so be wary of throwing over the middle if you see a cover 2 defense.

Best thing to do is wait for a blitz and utilize your TE as your receivers will more than like be locked up. Also using routes that beat man coverage (as many players play way too much man with the Packers) such as slants, and crossing patterns. If you notice zone and have enough time crossing patterns can gash that as well but getting the time is going to be hard.

Final Conclusion: GB has elite speed at Corner and safety (if Collins is in the game) the LB core and Line is realtively slow (they aren't the Bengals at that position) so your best bet in passing would be routes that exploit the slowness of those positions (watch out for 2-4-5 with Woodson in the slot). Running the ball may be difficult but going outside away from Woodson (due to his LB like tackling and shed block ratings) is your best bet (stretches, tosses, off tackles, etc) as Raji and those sure tackling LB's don't give up much in the middle. Move the ball in small chunks and wait for them to get greedy and bring the house. When they do make them pay.
    Last edited by baller7345; 10-18-2011 at 06:56 PM.

Status
    Banned
    PSN ID
    TheLazyAssGamer

after getting beat against a kid that sucks but only won cuz he was the packers i have decided to use the packers against the packers. this will allow me to be a f@g like everyone else and press with 2 pro bowl corners, pro bowl saftey, and a 97 speed corner while getting nice heat.

Status

They are probably the best team in the game so no easy way to stop them but a few ideas:

1) First off the packers run game is terrible so your ideal gameplan as most teams is force them to run the ball, probably going to need a spy on Rodgers at least at first or they will just scramble for yards on max coverage D.

2)Finley is the real receiving beast on GB IMO so you want to take him away first, A good idea is give him a nice user jam at the line and user cover him until they start going away from him (probably to Jennings).

3)On offense your pretty much always better off running to the weakside. Also their actualy down linemen are pretty slow so you can try to scramble around a bit as a mobile qb.

4) Play the Packers as the Packers, if you can't beat them join them

Status
    Madden Advisors

Quote Originally Posted by jhnnyo View Post
    They are probably the best team in the game so no easy way to stop them but a few ideas:

1) First off the packers run game is terrible so your ideal gameplan as most teams is force them to run the ball, probably going to need a spy on Rodgers at least at first or they will just scramble for yards on max coverage D.

2)Finley is the real receiving beast on GB IMO so you want to take him away first, A good idea is give him a nice user jam at the line and user cover him until they start going away from him (probably to Jennings).

3)On offense your pretty much always better off running to the weakside. Also their actualy down linemen are pretty slow so you can try to scramble around a bit as a mobile qb.

4) Play the Packers as the Packers, if you can't beat them join them
    ...I have to take offense to #1. Their run game isn't terrible its just not a speed running game. Grant has 90 trucking and breaks a lot of tackles. Strarks gives a little speed but he is more of a power back in the game (same with Greene). They aren't going to be gashing off 5-6+ yards per carry but I consistently average around 4-4.5 yards a carry. Its not great by any means but it isn't' terrible.

To add to number 1. If you can force GB to run then you've done something right. I'm the only person I've seen that uses the Packers and runs it down your throat if you can't stop it. Everyone else seems to be trying to recreate the divisional playoff game against Atlanta.

#3-This is just a warning as I can't be the only person or has figured this out. Spying Mathews out of 2-4-5 stops most scrambles and and out of 2-3-6 odd he is deadly on a spy because he is shifted to the MLB position. In both of these formations you can pretty much get away with this without losing anything to the defense (outside of the occasional Mathews instant pressure) as his assignment on most plays is to rush the passer anyway. Just something to look out for because while their line is slow Mathews is a beast.
    Last edited by baller7345; 10-18-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Status
    Ball So Hard U. Moderator
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

My best way to stop the packers is just man up your best corner on Jennings, then your next best on Driver and then just force the other guys to beat you.

If I get consistently beat by Jordy Nelson or James Jones or even Finley, I'm okay with that because it's not really what most people game plan for.

Man coverage does good against the Packers since you don't have to press them to stop their speedsters, because they have none other than Jennings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gamertag: SnA ExclusiVe
    Madden 15 Record: 24-6

Status
    Aaron Rodgers Title Belt

Hit stick rodgers and hope flynn plays.
    "I'm the only winner on this team. The rest of 'em, they're losers. Either by choice, or by birth."

XBOX Gamertag - JackParkman15

Status

When ever I am playing the packers. I think about stopping the player using them and not the team itself. You have to be very disciplined and patient. Throw a bunch of different looks on defense. Slow long drives on offense.