Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default whats better for stopping the run 4-3 or 3-4 ??

i played against some guy online today and he had this scheme out of i form twin.. and i think he was running a stretch play and a power o play if im not mistaken... and he had more success running then i would have liked mcfadden would pick up a decent amount of yards everytime.. i was using the nyj pb on defense and i tried the 46 but got burned once by it.. then stuck with the 3-4 and did better at containing the run but even when i blitzed to the side this guy ran to he still got about 3-4 yards every time.. im usually really good at stopping the run completely except for this game i played today.... so with all that said i would like to know if u guys prefer 3-4 or 4-3 to stop the run and if so which plays our of which formation?? thanx

Ball So Hard U. Moderator SnA ExclusiVe's Avatar

Depends on personnel.

4-3 is better for stopping outside runs because of the pursuit by the 3 linebackers, but inside runs give that a lot of trouble because it allows for a lot of double teams.

3-4 is better for stopping inside runs because of the 3 big guys in the middle eating up double teams and freeing up the ILB's.

So just keep that in mind when you want to select the defense you want to run.

yeah i feel like when ppl run outside on me i kill it with the 4-3 especially if i spread the line and pass blitz... and if they try to cut it back they run into jay ratliff or bradie james...but i feel like the 4-3 is suspect tp the pass... im more of a 3-4 kinda guy.... what kinda formations are in BAL def pb???

I feel like personnel is definately a major consideration.

But also very dependant on the play calling.

I like 46, 335, and nickel sub versus the run, but clearly all plays are not created equally, and won't do an equal job at any given task.

So the problem might not be the formation, it might be your peeps and your plays.

yeah i play with the cowboys so there built to run a 3-4 but i can get away with a 4-3 at times especially against the run.. i like to run 4-6 and nickel sub vs the run if they run up the gut but by my experience the toss and sweeps can kill the 4-6 and nickel sub if ur playing a speedy back like mcfadden, a.p., felix jones, jamal charles etc...and ive never had success stoppin the run out of the 335 idk why maybe im not calling the right play? what are some good run stoppers out the 335 without bringing the house? lol

I'm a man heavy guy, but versus outside rubs with 335, I'd start out of 335 cover 1 and if you need to account fir a speedy rb, two thnngs help:

- man assign a faster CB or safety to cover the rb
    - make sure whomever is manned on rb is actually lined up near him, so he's not racing across the field to get to his man assignment.

thanx bro i will try this out later when i get a chance.. ive seen ppl play really good run defense in 335 but ive never had success if i did it would help alot and make my defense a lil bit more versatile

34 is better for stopping the outside run 43 is better for inside runs

Quote Originally Posted by bigjbeastin44 View Post
    34 is better for stopping the outside run 43 is better for inside runs
    really u think so?? well with my personel i do better with the 4-3 stooping the outside run and with 3-4 stopping the inside run

Gamertag
    EL D1ABL05

Check out the 46 D. It is a really good D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast